You will be more likely to succeed if you can clearly articulate why you are getting into the consulting industry
BEFORE applying for interviews, one question that you will want to ask yourself is “why consulting?”
Relevance of the question
The question is important for at least two reasons:
- You will be asked this question in your interview so it is a good idea to be prepared; and
- You will be much more likely to succeed (in the interview and afterwards) if you can clearly and passionately articulate in your own mind the reasons why you are getting into the industry.
How to answer the question
The way you respond to the question is more important than what you say. The most important thing is to be sincere and passionate about getting into the industry.
Think about why you want to get into the industry and write down each reason as a dot point. Memorise your dot points before you step into the interview room.
It is important that you are true to yourself, and have your own reasons for wanting to enter the industry.
Here are the 4 reasons why consulting is an obvious choice:
- Solving business problems: Working with high profile clients to solve challenging business problems
- Learning from the best: Working with and learning from super intelligent and energetic people
- Building relationships: Working on a consulting engagement would be a great opportunity to build relationships with colleagues and business leaders
- Travel: Consulting is a great way to combine travel with work
What are/were your reasons for wanting to get into the industry?
Respond in the forum.