Graduate Consulting Jobs

Hi everyone - I'm brand new here but was hoping for a bit of general advice on graduate consulting roles in Australia and NZ?

I just had a couple questions that I thought you guys with a bit more experience in the consulting field might be able to answer. I'm a recent graduate of a top University in New Zealand, where I studied a Bachelors of Mechanical Engineering. I've held a wide range of leadership roles throughout school and University, and I have a background in guest services as well as excellent people skills which I believe would put me in good stead in a consultancy role. I have a strong interest in sustainability and renewable energy - so would really like to get into that side of consultancy if at all possible - and since I don't have a strong financial background (like I imagine many applicants to consultancy roles do) then I think that would be the more appropriate path for me. Which of the sustainability and environment related Australian companies have the strongest record and best career opportunities would you say?

Do you know when most of the Australian companies begin their application and recruitment process? Is the usual process to apply (and hopefully be accepted) into a summer internship and then aim for a continued role after that, or are graduate jobs given straight off the bat with many of these firms as well?

Would there be any firms that you would recommend in regards to graduate prospects without upper education? Again - I realise that many companies will only seriously consider applicants with further education, and are there companies that you know fit into this bracket? Or is it best to simply try for all of them?

Pretty broad questions I know, but would love to hear peoples thoughts and advice.

Cheers,
Andy

Hey Andy,

Thanks for joining the Consulting Forum!

I take it that you're looking to find a role in a consulting firm. Are you looking at strategy consulting in particular? As you have probably gathered, the field of "consulting" is very broad and so there are lots of different kinds of consultants.

I am not an expert on enviro consulting firms. However, I did create a list of Sustainability Consulting Firms which may be helpful: http://www.tomspencer.com.au/2008/11/23/sustainability-consulting-firms-in-australia-csr/

As for the application process, recruitment for Business Analyst positions in Australia are generally in Feb-March for positions starting in the following year (ie. you interview for a position in March 2012 for a position in March 2013) - though once they want you, they are often flexible on the start date.

What do you mean by upper education? Do you mean Masters? If you are a recent graduate of a top NZ University and your marks are strong then that will put in you in a good position to get interviews at top consulting firms. And, by the way, engineering is a really great degree to have done if you're interested in strategy consulting because it teaches you to solve problems and think in a structured way.

If you want to apply to strategy consulting firms in Australia, you can take a look at the list I put together here: http://www.tomspencer.com.au/2008/07/27/strategy-consulting-and-business-consulting-firms-list-australia/

Does that help?