Email Marketing (Sales) Solutions

Tom Spencer

Hi all, 

A recent article in Business News Daily indicates that:

A study by consulting firm McKinsey and Co. recently revealed that email marketing is 40 times more successful than Facebook and Twitter marketing combined.

This quote raises at least two questions, firstly, what does the article mean by "email marketing"? Secondly, why does email do better than Facebook and Twitter?

On the first question, the article talks about "email campaigns" and so seems to be talking about email sales, rather than email marketing. I.e. wanting recipients of the emails to buy products or take some other action, rather than just have an increased awareness of the business.

So to the second question, why is selling by email so much more effective than selling by Facebook or Twitter?  

My initial thoughts are that email is a much more personal medium. For example, if you are invited to an event by email, you would probably be much more likely to attend than if you received a Facebook invitation. A personalised email which addresses you by name will make you feel included. However, being invited to the event on Facebook along with 100 other people will make you feel like an after thought.

What do people think about this?

Definitely agree with the personalised aspect of the email, but a few other things popped into mind as well. Looking primarily at Facebook, people do not use the site as a place do go to to buy things, whereas it is quite common for products and services to pop up in your email for one reason or another like agreeing to s ign up for third party information sharing, so people are more willing to give this the attention and time compared to glazing over something on Facebook. I think also the way we access Facebook would also influence this as many app versions of the site filter content and may not necessarily show these products and services that may appeal to users. I know I would not be on fb anywhere near as much as I am if I only accessed it via a computer, where as the way emails are viewed is constant between computer and smartphone/tablet etc. so I feel this May influence on the success comparator of email marketing between the two mediums

• Like 1

• 2 months later...