McKinsey suggests an overhaul of the NHS

Tom Spencer

The Guadian reported yesterday that McKinsey has advised an overhaul of the NHS system in the UK, noting "They ... suggest scrapping the tradition of a free health service and introducing £20 a week "hotel" charges for hospital stays, a £5 bill for every visit to a hospital casualty department and a £2 fee for every visit to a GP. "

To read the full article: visit the website.

Good business for McKinsey, but the irony in McKinsey's advice appears to be that McKinsey were the consultants who helped to design the structure of the NHS in 1974. It is fair to say that McKinsey advising that the structure they previously recommended is broken is not necessarily the same thing as saying that McKinsey provided bad advice in the past.

What do you think about this matter?

The NHS is a wonderful system in terms of providing basic accessible care for everyone.  

One of the problems with the system though is that many people can afford to pay, and if it means they will get better service or more priority then they are typically than willing to do so. The system is equitable (in that its services can be accessed by all) but it has lots of in built inefficiency. 

I would be interested to read the terms of the original McKinsey brief.  I'm sure they provided the government with what was needed at the time, or at least what was politically acceptable.

Times have changed since 1974 and it seems logical that McKinsey's recommendations would change as well. Although I can't say I am familiar with the NHS on an institutional level, I have heard about the ever increasing problem of medical tourists, coming to the country to "take advantage" of the free services. Due to this concern, students studying in London (such as myself) will soon have to pay an additional fee upon entering the country to cover potential medical costs and the resources of the NHS. 

I think in some sense an additional fee is justified.

When I was studying in Oxford last year, I used the local NHS doctor once, but some other students used the NHS services quite intensely. None of us had to pay.

Arguably, this kind of free service should be reserved for tax payers and others should pay a fee (although, hopefully a small one).