Getting into MBB or Banking

Eric Yau

Hi all,

I am looking at MBB Consulting or Investment Banking.

I studied at University of Wollongong with distinction average. 

I love the Gong and social life is great. But, do I have chance of breaking into MBB or IB?

If not directly out of uni, is there any other route into consulting?

Guest Sarah Foster

Eric, 

Your question is valid, but you need to have more confidence in your abilities.  Lack of self confidence will hurt your chances in the interviews. Consulting interviews are difficult, and you need to believe in yourself.  

Consulting firms do have target schools, is Wollongong visited by any of the firms you want to work for? 

Deloitte, PwC and Accenture offer strategy consulting, and tend to be more open minded in who they will accept for an interview. So bear that in mind.

Also, if you haven't already read it, this post may be of interest re what MC firms are looking for.

Eric, 

If you don't apply and get in after undergrad, the next easiest entry point into management consulting is after doing an MBA.  However, you can apply at any time, these are not the only two options.

It is important to demonstrate that you have excelled at what you do, and this does not need to be in the academic arena.