David Logan on tribal leadership

alee228

David Logan gives us an interesting insight into tribes.

What is a tribe?

A tribe is a social group of anywhere from 20 to about 150 people. In other words, a large yet manageable group of individuals.

Why are tribes important?

People are naturally tribal in nature. People form tribes, that's just what they do. And it is within these tribes (or communities) that people share common values, support each other and get important work done. Tribes are the basis upon which society is built.

5 Stages of Tribe

Logan identifies that a tribe may exist at one of five cultural stages.

Stage 1: "Life Sucks"

Examples of a Stage 1 Tribe include gangs and prisons. The members of a Stage 1 Tribe believe that life sucks and they act accordingly. Logan indicates that members of a Stage 1 Tribe are antisocial and act to deliberately sever relationships with other functional tribes.

Stage 2: “My Life Sucks”

Examples of a Stage 2 Tribe include many government departments and call centres. The people who work at these places are doing the grind and share the outlook that "my life sucks!". Very little, if any, world changing work can get done in a Stage 2 Tribe.

Stage 3: “I’m great ... and you’re not”

Examples of a Stage 3 Tribe include most law firms. Each lawyer in the firm may be talented but believes in their own self-importance. So instead of cooperating with each other to get great work done, they look for ways to compete against each other so that they can establish their "greatness".

Stage 4: “We are great”

Examples of a Stage 4 Tribe include many religions (e.g. Catholicism and Islam) and Apple Computers. Logan indicates that when individuals come together and are united by a shared bond then it is possible for a group of normally self-interested individuals to morph into something bigger and more meaningful, a tribe with an identity and existence of its own.

Stage 5: “Life is Great”

Examples of a Stage 5 Tribe are hard to find. I think Buddhism (in the form espoused by the Dalai Lama) is one example of a Stage 5 Tribe currently in existence.

What kind of tribes are you a member of?

How will your tribes change the world?