Nigel is a truly original thinker who combines a good sense of humour with sharp strategic insights and clarity of thought.
I had originally intended to ask Nigel some questions about Pottinger and its recruitment process, but I thought better of it. I was interested to learn more about his book “The Long Term Starts Tomorrow” and we ended up having a very interesting conversation.
Our discussion touched on various fascinating topics including:
- The importance of thinking about the long term first
- Looking beyond short term financial metrics
- Finding the courage to overcome vested interests
- The importance of having a strategic end goal (rather than just a general sense of direction)
- The need for continual innovation
- The challenges of pursuing organisational change
- How to anticipate the future
- Where should the CEO focus his or her attention
- Ongoing innovations in digital media, and
- Australia’s unenviable position as an innovation laggard
Please bookmark this initial post, subscribe by email or follow the conversation on Twitter via the hashtag #nigellake.
I will post one instalment from my conversation with Nigel Lake every weekday for the next two weeks.